"Ubi Amor Ibi Fides"

Monday, March 19, 2012

I guess I am the bad guy.

I keep reading the reports of the solider who shot up the women and children in Afghanistan and I keep reading about how a lot of Americans have sympathy for him. I guess I am rare, I do not. They keep bringing up his multiple deployments, as if no one in the military has had that many? I mean if you are a lifer you can expect four or more combat deployments, in Adam's four years he had two combat and 1 sea deployment. Do I fault the military for not catching his "emotional issues", possibly. But that does not change what he choose to do. And the fact is, because of his actions, he is a danger to society and American national security. We constantly put criminals and murderers away for life with little consideration for there childhood circumstances i.e. physical and mental abuse. Yet this man is different because he had injuries from combat? I don't see it as much different than a murderer who was physically beaten as a child to an inch of his life. I do believe this man should have at least life in prison. I also believe he should be tried in Afghanistan, had the situation been reversed we would hope for the same. Yes he is a "family man" but plenty of family men can be murders as well.  Excusing his behavior  because of combat stress is a) discrediting any solider who ever served under intense situations who suffers PTSD or more and did not snap like that and b) it is giving an excuse to any solider who has served to do similar. Not a risk I want to take.

On that note I have even more question about how he a) got off base without being caught and b) the report that he climbed a wall to get back on base? WTH? Had that been my husbands base I can assure you he would have been shot trying to get back on base like that. I do have to ask what the heck is going on if Afganistan recently that we keep messing up like this? First the peeing video then the Qur'an burning now this? Whoever is in charge here needs to be reevaluated. That being said I stand by my view that the Afghanistan is the one place we should be (never agreed with Iraq) being that it is a hot bed for Al-Qaeda.

No comments: