Click the link at the bottom for a better context.
....For one, Metzenbaum did not say that Glenn had “never held a job.” What he said was close, though: He noted that Glenn had ”never had to meet a payroll,” according to media accounts of the debate.
I sought out old media coverage of Glenn’s speech. Here’s a 1992 account by the Columbus Dispatch:
On May 3, 1974, at the City Club debate in Cleveland, Glenn let fly with the following counterattack that left Metzenbaum mumbling:”Howard, I can’t believe you said that. I served 23 years in the United States Marine Corps. I went through two wars. I flew 149 missions. My plane was hit by anti-aircraft fire on 12 different occasions.”I ask you to go with me as I went the other day to a veterans’ hospital, and look those men with their mangled bodies in the eye and tell them they didn’t hold a job. You go with me to any Gold Star mother and you look her in the eye and tell her that her son did not hold a job.”You go with me on Memorial Day coming up and you stand in Arlington National Cemetery, where I have more friends than I like to remember, and you watch those waving flags, and you stand there and you think about this nation and you tell me that those people didn’t have a job.”I tell you, Howard Metzenbaum, you should be on your knees every day of your life thanking God that there were some men – some men – who held a job.”
Military Times
No comments:
Post a Comment