"Ubi Amor Ibi Fides"

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Statistics...

The inner historian is coming out in me uh oh!
Anyway, looking up military stats today, something I have wondered about for a while. Well now I pose a philosophical question.

Of the top 5 deadliest wars Americans have fought in, 4 of them have been in the last 100 years. I wonder what that says about us as a nation.

And then the number one deadliest war was the one against ourselves. Again I wonder what this says, if anything.

I do have to say, in my short life so far I have been blessed that Iraq and Afghanistan have yet to reach the top 5 numbers. Although it is in the top ten, and it is not over yet, will it ever be?

A month ago I finished The Things They Carried by Tim O'brian. This was about a man who ultimately 20 years later was able to bring his daughter back to Vietnam with him to show her where these things happened. I wonder will Adam and I ever be able to bring our children to Iraq? I don't know if we would want to, but would we ever even be able to do so?

History leaves you with so many questions about today.

No comments: